I Want to Be Free – Aren’t They Big Enough To Manage!!!
These days all mommies (ok, most mommies) are so particular about their ME–TIME that it has become an almost universal complain that you get to hear as “The kids are big enough now (it applies for ages as early as 6 years) and ought to understand that I have limited time post work and other stuff. Its high time they become independent and do not need my constant reminders to do things“.
Poor little ones, being ill equipped, flounder badly and there starts the whole Jinga-Lala business of being judgmental about their actions, critical of their ways of being & doing and in extreme cases comparisons with other kids (irrespective of their environments or support systems or exposures)
Personally I feel there are some simple yet effective ways to be free…Free to have more time to do things you want. Read on:
- You have amassed quicker, smarter and time saving ways to do things overall. Instead of letting your kids take time and reinvent the wheel, take the lead to guide them and help them implement it actively. It implies you are not spoon feeding them but it certainly means teaching them your strategies of better Time–management, organising, referencing, quicker reading or multitasking tasks, mannerisms, and much more. It will help them save time and offers them a powerful choice to their existing repertoire of skills.
- Your presence around the child while he engages in meaningful activities builds an emotional support and connect. To double up the benefits, share your life experiences and you can add lots of value to their development both mental and physical.
- The concentrated efforts, interest and inputs that you can provide are way above the ones given by a tuition-teacher or enrichment classes. Of course there are exceptions but considering the sporadic availability of business oriented guidance the rule is definitely otherwise. YOUR STAKES ARE NO DOUBT HIGHER WHEN IT COMES TO YOUR CHILD!!!
- It is our duty as a mother to not just provide food for the body to our kids but to take equal responsibility to serve them food for thoughts, right behaviours, decisions and actions. The wholesome growth of kids is the only way towards freedom for a mom. All mommies investing energies in their kids while they are still young, get free once the ground work is in place (I feel class 8th should be a good milestone to keep in mind, to bring out the best in them).
- Ground work would involve teaching and showing them the nitty – grities of planning & organising, Reading skill types (skimming / scanning /study / speed reading) love for learning, gradual note making, scheduling tasks, sticking to time frames are just to name a few, with far reaching results.
IF DESPITE IT ALL, YOU STILL WANT TO KEEP YOUR ME-TIME AS SACRED, REVISIT YOUR BALANCING ACT IN LIFE. WITH A LITTLE PLANNING AND PUTTING FIRST THINGS FIRST (WHICHEVER WAY IT GOES FOR YOU: FROM THE CHILD TO YOU OR VICE VERSA), IT COULD BE A CAKE WALK (OR SHOULD I SAY “CAT WALK “) TOWARDS MORE FREE TIME…SCRIPT IT THE WAY IT SUITS YOU MOMS.
Leave a Comment